Saturday, May 12, 2012

Oh. Thought.

There may be a balance that needs to be struck between kind, loving words and kind, selfless action.

My ex was very, very good at doing things for me.  Still is.  But, he almost always wants acknowledgement of how much of a "good guy" he is.

My boyfriend showers me with affection of all kinds.  But, he's (by his own admission) sort of lazy and unmotivated.  I can't count on him to do things in the way that my ex will.  So, this may be another thing that I have to get used to being different.

And I'm okay with that.  I'm good with self-reliance (and I like having my independence).  But it feels weird.  I've grown used to translating acts of service with love.  It wasn't the thing I would have preferred (and my boyfriend's methods of showing me he loves me are perfectly suited for what I want), but it was what I knew.

Growing pains.  That's all.  I hope I'm able to figure out how to talk to him about this without hurting him.

No comments:

Post a Comment